Friday, October 7, 2011

Atlanta Adventures: Flying Solo Edition

So two weeks ago, Ethan and I prepared to head to Atlanta, my first time flying with Ethan by myself. It got off to a rocky start since we ended up leaving Saturday morning instead of Friday evening after my flight was delayed 4 hours, which would have gotten us in 3 hours after Ethan's bedtime. But we finally made it, and Ethan did great on the flight down, nursing and sleeping the whole time.

On Saturday, we just enjoyed spending time with Grandmama and Grandpapa:





On Sunday, a college friend, Mary Helen, came over to play with her son, Damian. You can read all about them at her blog, Pup and Tot. No, seriously, click on over there. I'll wait. Damian is quite the cutie, and Ethan enjoyed flirting with Mary Helen:






On Monday, we were supposed to get together with a friend of mine from elementary school and her daughter, but my friend woke up feeling poorly and didn't want to expose Ethan. It all worked out, though, because instead we got to have lunch with a friend from jr. high/high school and her boyfriend. She's expecting her first baby in November, so it was a lot of fun to catch up and talk babies!

That afternoon, we headed over to my cousin's house to play with her daughter, who is only 3.5 weeks younger than Ethan. She's not really mobile yet, so my cousin hasn't really babyproofed. Ethan tried to explore every inch of her house, so now my cousin knows what she has to look forward to, at least =)







On Tuesday, we headed to Newnan to have lunch with my dad's mother. Ethan was in a bit of an odd mood so he did a lot of glaring, and we didn't get very great pictures as a result. That evening, after a struggle of a nap, we had dinner with my mom's mother, who had come to town for a dr.'s appointment. It was so wonderful to see the great-grandparents, though I wish we had more time to visit and got better pictures!



On Wednesday, we had our final meals and prepared to head back home. After some anxiety due to seat-switching, everything got worked out, and Ethan spent the flight playing, nursing, and eating dinner. As we began our descent, he spied a man a few rows back who began playing peek-a-boo with him. I held him firmly in my lap as he peered over the seat and ducked back down, grinning and giggling away. Then, out of nowhere, the flight attendant sprang out of her jump seat and began yelling at me to put my seatbelt around Ethan! I explained to her that wasn't possible (no way would the belt fit around both of us), but she kept shouting at me and insisting. I told her I couldn't, and she sat back down, shaking her head at me and glaring. I tried to get Ethan to sit down in my lap, but he burst into tears and began screaming since he wanted to keep playing. After about 15 seconds of screaming, I relented, and he joyfully sprang back up to resume his game. The flight attendant continued to glare and shake her head. I tried to talk to her as we got off the plane, but she ignored me. Needless to say, this put a bit of a damper on the flight home, but I felt a bit better a few days later after sending Delta a complaint (no final word back, yet, but they did give me an extra 3500 SkyMiles as an apology).

All in all, it was a great trip, and I was sorry to return to class. However, Ethan was thrilled to get back to his daddy, as was I! Thanks again to Grandmama and Grandpapa for making our visit so wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment