Thursday, September 8, 2011

Thank God We're Not Vegetarians

I have disappeared from the blogosphere lately, mostly thanks to my classes starting back, but I haven't forgotten about it! I have many posts forming in my head, but the paper I turned in this afternoon took up my usual blogging time after Ethan goes to bed. There's plenty to say about the transition this time in going back to school and how getting Ethan down for his afternoon nap without tears has become impossible, but for now we'll stick with the always fun subject of table foods.

Ethan must just sense that he's about to turn one, because lately he has been displaying a toddler's pickiness. Foods that he once ate readily he now pushes away with disgust. If he does decide to try one of these foods (or even occasionally agree to try a new food!), he chews once before sticking his tongue out with the food on the tip and shaking his head until the offending bite falls to the tray. Very frustrating. There are a few exceptions though: meat and carbs. This boy loves him some meat. Turkey, chicken, pork, it doesn't matter. He double fists it as he shoves bite after bite into his mouth, sometimes to the point that slivers of meat stick out from his lips at funny angles. He's also a big fan of bread, cereal, bagels, and even a bit of muffin I gave him in an attempt to get him to eat some blueberries.

Which brings me to my concern with his pickiness. Ethan is refusing to eat any fruits or vegetables in finger food form. However, if I mash it up or give him a puree, he has no problem with it. So thankfully, I'm able to still give him a nutritious meal with all the food groups represented, but it's frustrating that he's being so stubborn about this. I guess it's normal. I've heard of kids who go weeks only eating Goldfish crackers. And at least the meat he so loves is nutritious and a good source of protein and iron.

::sigh:: Just when I think I have my kid figured out, he goes and changes on me. And if he's already this stubborn as an almost-toddler, I'm afraid of what teenage-Ethan might look like!

No comments:

Post a Comment