Friday, March 18, 2011

Stretch Marks v. 2.0?

((For anyone who doesn't know, "Stretch" was Ethan's name in utero in order to satisfy his daddy's desire to have a child nicknamed Stretch or Skid and his mommy's desire to... well, not))

It seems like as soon as you have a kid, everyone starts asking when you're going to have another. So allow me to answer this publicly: not anytime soon. Having been pregnant while in grad school and currently having an infant while in grad school, I have no desire to experience either of those again.

It's funny to me that a lot of women have a strong desire to get pregnant again when their firstborn is mere months (or even weeks!) old. I love being pregnant, but I cannot imagine having two in diapers, much less two under two (or one). When I hear about people with kids around Ethan's age already trying for another, I wonder about their sanity. At least, I did wonder until a couple of weeks ago when two of my close friends had their babies. Now, these weren't the first of my friends to have babies since Ethan was born by any means, but for some reason, reading about them going into labor and seeing those first newborn pictures made me want a new little one to snuggle more than anything. For a few minutes at least before I came to my senses and imagined taking care of two infants while finishing my degree. Not so much. So suffice it to say it will be a while before Ethan has a little brother or sister to torment.

Speaking of which, having Ethan has completely changed my opinion regarding the gender of future progeny. I was one of those horrible people who just didn't understand why someone who already had a little boy would want their next child to also be a boy instead of a girl. Doesn't everyone want one of each? Now I get it. While I would be absolutely thrilled to have a girl, I would be just as thrilled to have a boy next, even if it means I never have a daughter. Every time I put away a cute little blue outfit, I lament that we may not have another child to wear it, and I can just imagine all the trouble Ethan would get into with a little brother. As a result, I definitely want to be Team Green next time because I will be just as thrilled with whichever result. However, if Ethan does end up with a little brother, he will probably either be nameless or named Ethan the Sequel because the chances of us finding another boys name we agree on is slim to none!

Thankfully, that decision is a long way off!

No comments:

Post a Comment