Saturday, March 26, 2011

Teething can bite me

So when Ethan's first tooth broke through earlier this week, I had hoped his teething would get easier since the hardest part was done. Boy was I wrong. On Thursday, he became so fussy while I was in class that I had to leave early because he was refusing to go down for a nap. As soon as I picked him up, he was fine, but when I handed him back to my friend so I could return to class, he would pucker and wail. I had thought this was just his usual separation anxiety that's been cropping up lately, but he woke up 3 times that night, once for almost an hour, and then was fussy off and on all day yesterday. He didn't want to nurse as long as usual, he wasn't napping as well, and he refused to be put down for most of the day.

Then last night. Oh, last night. It began as the night before with him waking up at 9, 10, and 1. And again, like the night before, he didn't want to go back in his crib after the 1 AM waking. But this time, he REALLY didn't want to go back in his crib. He'd nurse or rock to sleep, but as soon as I put him down, he was wide awake, arms reaching to be picked up, and a wail at his lips, ready to escape if I didn't immediately reach for him. He only wanted his mommy. Daddy, his seahorse, his aquarium, none of these would suffice. Finally, after two mediocre nights of sleep the two days prior and only 2 hours thus far that night, I was too exhausted to fight him anymore and cuddled up with him in bed. After a few minutes of wanting to play, he passed out asleep and snuggled up next to me until 7:30 this morning. He stirred a couple of times, but all I had to do was shush him and he went right back out. I have to give him credit for being absolutely adorable, though. If I wasn't so exhausted (and admittedly somewhat annoyed), it would have been even cuter.

So now I'm trying to write a paper on very little sleep. He's been in a better mood than yesterday and is currently napping well on my chest, so I have hopes that maybe tonight will be better. Who knew that the aftermath of getting his first tooth would be the hardest part of teething yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment