Friday, March 2, 2012

Christmas in March

So, from the title, you might think I'm FINALLY getting around to posting about Christmas 2011 and our trip to Atlanta. Yeah, I'm thinking that's probably just not going to happen (not to mention the grandparent visits earlier in December). So let's just scratch those off the "upcoming posts" list.

If you know me, you probably know I hate spending money. My husband doesn't get it. I'm constantly saying "But do I/you/we really need that?" to which he always responds, "What is it with you and this concept of "need"?" Once I decide I want something, I research. I drag my feet. I put things in shopping carts. And I usually either decide against buying it or put it on a Christmas/birthday wish list in hopes that someone will decide to get it for me. As a result, I have a lot of things "Saved for Later" in my Amazon.com shopping cart, including a Book of Common Prayer that has been in it for at least 3 years.

So when I discovered DiscountSchoolSupplies.com, I knew I was in trouble. Here is an entire website with cool things for Ethan to play with and use, AND they're cheaper than I would find elsewhere. I spent several days just looking around. Then I finally began narrowing down what I actually wanted (or at least what I wanted first). Then I made a shopping cart. Then I let it sit. For an entire week. Debating whether I really wanted to spend $80 (you have to spend $79 for free shipping, and their shipping isn't cheap!). But this time, I actually clicked "Checkout" on Wednesday morning. And this afternoon, two packages arrived on our doorstep. And oh what fun we've had!!!

We got:
- Color paddles for learning colors and combinations (GREAT for the light table -- this includes 3 sets so we have one for play and two to give away to friends/donate to the church's preschool)
- Translucent letter jewels (also great for the light table)
- Window blocks for building and putting on the light table
- Mirror trays for making a DIY mirror exploration station (plus we have two left over for play)
- 3 big bottles of colored sand for sensory play, mirror play, light table, crafts, etc.

When Ethan woke up from his nap, he was quite excited about all of his new loot. He immediately gravitated to the color paddles. He clutched them while he nursed, holding them up to look through and laughing as he made Mommy turn green and red. While I got to work constructing the mirror station with four of the mirrors, Ethan poured the letter jewels onto his light table and began exploring. Just before I had to start fixing dinner, he turned to the window blocks I'd spread out on the train table and began building. We didn't break open the sand today, but if he enjoys it half as much as he has the rest of the order, I think this was money well spent!


In the midst of our light table play. I'd already cleaned up the letter jewels (though we later got them back out). I put the four triangular window blocks on the light table to show him how they worked. He got down the plastic jewels and poured them inside the blocks! This is also the mirror exploration station folded up for storage (when it's expanded, it goes on the sides as well). And Ethan is also wearing most of the Mardi Gras beads, which almost always come out whenever we're upstairs.

Watching himself in the mirror as he takes the beads off and puts them back on.

Very proud.

Meanwhile, I had fun building with the window blocks on the extra mirrors. You can also see the other four color paddles and some sensory balloons I made Ethan yesterday (they're each filled with different substances for him to explore: water, corn syrup, flour, rice, and beans).

"Artsy" shot of the letter jewels and his putting the plastic jewels in the triangular window blocks on the light table

Taking a break to enjoy some snack while still exploring the color paddles

Silly boy!

Building

Christmas in March is fun!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment