Sunday, March 25, 2012

Re-prioritization Update

I posted last month about my pledge to be wholly focused on Ethan during my time alone with him, vowing to stay off the computer and keep the TV off to avoid distraction. I figured now was as good a time as any so I can be accountable for either keeping this pledge (or not) and how it may have affected my time with Ethan.

It hasn't been nearly as difficult as I expected! The TV I haven't missed at all (nor have I turned it on at all unless he's asleep). The internet has been slightly harder, mostly severing the email tie, and I've been guilty of sneaking on a handful of times. Usually it's to email a professor or check for a specific email I was awaiting. Twice it's been to update my facebook status after Ethan did something truly adorable/awesome (and I usually don't update my facebook status much so this was truly unnecessary cheating). Twice I checked Google maps before heading out somewhere to make sure I knew where I was going. And once I checked Ebates.com to see if a website I planned on ordering something from would allow me to get cash back (also not a crucial use, but I was convinced I would forget otherwise). Considering how much I used to use the computer, this is definitely a major improvement, even though I'm still not perfect.

So how about my time with Ethan? I certainly feel like I enjoy him more and demonstrate that to him. He definitely revels in the attention. And it also allows him more freedom. We took down the gates we used to have up downstairs (not the one on the stairs, though) because since I'm always with him, it's not necessary to keep him confined as much. He can play with things he didn't used to get to play with because I'm there to keep him safe and out of trouble (well, as much as I can... he's quite a mischief!). Instead of just filling up the days with random play (whatever keeps him entertained), we're doing actual activities, spending time outdoors, and learning as we play! It's so much fun to watch him explore and discover, and I certainly wouldn't trade it for 90s sitcom reruns and catching up on the latest drama in my facebook groups.

In an unrelated sidenote, I purchased a video monitor from a friend on Friday, and I can't believe we didn't have one earlier! Not only is Baby TV absolutely addicting, it makes me fall in love Ethan even more (if that's even possible) just to see how adorable he is. Plus it provides a much-needed clue into random fusses, letting me know when I need to go in and when going in will only disturb him. $45 well spent, especially considering it originally retails for $300!

No comments:

Post a Comment