Sunday, March 11, 2012

Potty Time!

This afternoon, at just 17 months, Ethan peed on the potty.

I hadn't planned on potty training Ethan until he was 2.5-3. I knew boys often trained MUCH later than girls, and since he didn't have an older sibling to emulate, I didn't expect it to happen any earlier. But for the past several weeks, every time he needs to be changed, he will point to his diaper and say "dapa," which is a sign of readiness I was happy to ignore. For even longer, he's been waking up dry after naps and often even overnight, which is another sign of readiness. Then in the past couple of weeks, he's been all about trying to play in the toilet. It's a race to keep him from sticking his hands in once he starts heading in that direction, and he could often be found attempting to swirl the toilet brush into the bowl. Our new sitter had been pointing out that he definitely seemed ready, but I just said I wasn't ready!

Then on Friday, Ethan asked to use the potty. He touched his diaper and ran to his bathroom, pointing at the toilet and saying "potty!" In disbelief, I asked if he wanted to sit on the potty. He nodded and again said, "Potty!" Figuring I had nothing to lose, I began taking his pants and diaper off. Just in time for him to finish peeing. In other words, if I hadn't wasted so much time trying to figure out whether or not he was interested, he probably would have peed on the potty then. Later that day, he did it again, and I got tripped up getting his pants and diaper off, just missing the opportunity. It appeared Ethan had decided it was time to start potty training, whether we were ready or not.

So on Saturday, we went and got a toilet reducing ring. Ethan was immediately interested in it and loved sitting on the toilet without help. We'd planned to try him on the potty after his nap, but he woke up with a poopy diaper. We were out all evening with my parents so we planned to try again in the morning. Only to have another poopy diaper. We were out all morning with my parents again, so our next opportunity was after his nap today. He woke up and pointed to his diaper, saying "dapa!" I asked if he wanted to try using the potty. He broke out into a grin and ran into the bathroom. I took his (dry) diaper off and sat him on the seat. And he began to pee. I clapped and said "Yay!," and he broke out into a HUGE grin before clapping and yay-ing for himself. I kept him on the potty for a while longer to see if there was anything else. Then it happened. He passed gas. And he burst out laughing. He did it another 3-4 times in the course of the next few minutes, giggling maniacally each time. Once I became convinced he wasn't going to poop, I put him back in the diaper, and he ran back to his nursery, victorious.

Later this afternoon, we were playing downstairs, and he stopped, looked at me, and said "Potty?" I asked if he needed to use the potty, and he ran for the stairs. Unfortunately, he got distracted by the prospect of playing with the gate, then threw a tantrum when I carried him upstairs instead of letting him play with it, and by the time I got his pants and diaper off, I was greeted with another freshly wet diaper. Oh well. We'll get there. Or not. If he decides tomorrow he's not interested, we'll happily wait another year or so before trying again. I'm in no hurry to start formal training, complete with rewards and punishments, but I'll happily continue to follow his lead if he continues to show interest. Wish us luck! Who knows, we may be out of diapers by 2!

2 comments:

  1. Wow that's awesome! Do you have any good suggestions for books/websites/ general potty training advice? I know Damian's definitely not ready yet, but this has always intimidated me and I should probably get a head start on learning what I need to be looking for and doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish! We're entirely following Ethan's lead on this. It always intimidated me, too, thus why I said I wasn't ready when Ethan started showing signs of readiness. All I know is from talking to other moms. Most boys don't start until 2.5-3, so you may have a long respite before you need to worry about it, so don't panic just yet =)

      Delete