Friday, April 13, 2012

Nineteen Months

Dear Ethan,

It figures that the worst of the 18 month sleep regression would hit just as you're turning 19 months! You've been quite a mischief this month, but you've also been so much fun!

You are becoming a little parrot. Your speech is still very much toddler-ese, but I can understand what you're saying, and you love to repeat what you hear. From "maime" (maybe) to "mimi" (music) to "dageet" (dangit), you let us know you've been listening! You have developed quite a close friendship in this past month with our neighbors, and you typically wake up from your afternoon nap demanding "Naynee" (Nathan) and "Bam" (Pam). Poor Luke is still left out of your vocabulary, but maybe you'll figure it out in this next month because I'm sure there will be hours more of playing together.

In other developments, you have definitely figure out how to walk down stairs by yourself, as discovered last night when Daddy left the gate open and Mommy found herself bombarded by a rogue toddler who was supposed to be upstairs. I still prefer to have a hand in yours, or at least be within grabbing distance, but it's pretty impressive nonetheless! Your potty "training" is still going. We definitely haven't ditched the diapers yet, but you will still use the potty at least several times a day. Some days are better than others, but it's a process! No matter how you do the rest of the day, you almost always do best when we're out of the house, which is not what I would have expected at all.

A final, and very exciting, development has occurred just in the past week. Since a new Aldi opened up a couple of weeks ago, I took you to check it out. I needed to spend $30 to get $5 off so I decided to purchase some plums since I like them and hadn't had any in a while. Later that day, I got a plum for a snack, and you immediately began motioning for some. I offered it, but you grinned and pushed it away. After several rounds of this dance, you finally put your mouth on it. And soon you took a bite. And before I knew it, you had eaten my entire plum! Since then, you've snacked on bits of plum every day, but I wasn't sure if it was just plums or if you would eat other fresh fruit as well. This morning, we were at our neighbors' for a playdate, and she offered you a cup of apple slices. And you ate them all!!! It's probably sad how proud I was of you, but I'm just so excited you're finally potentially over some of your texture aversions. You snacked on plum slices the rest of the day, and I'm anxious to try out some more fruits to see just how far you've come! Dare I hope this might also extend to some vegetables???

This next month should hold some more excitement. You'll definitely get the last of your teeth (except the 2 year molars) since you final molar is almost breaking through and you have all the rest of them. Next week will hold your last time with Miss Donna since it will be Mommy's last day of class of the semester. And a month from yesterday, you will have a very late night as you join us to watch Mommy graduate from grad school!!! That will probably be much more exciting for Mommy than for you, but I know you'll enjoy having both sets of grandparents and three great-grandparents there to play with!

I can't believe you'll be twenty months in just 30 days. If it's possible, the second year flies by even quicker than the first! But you will always be my sweet baby, no matter how rebellious and mischievous you become!

Love,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment