Thursday, November 18, 2010

Two month appointment

I'm a few days late with this, but oh well! Ethan had his two-month-old well child appointment on Monday, and it went really well. He was grumpy with me because he missed his nap due to sleeping later than usual and having to get to the doctor, but he fell asleep while we were waiting for the doctor so he got a bit of a nap in. He was in good spirits for the doctor, smiling at him and being absolutely adorable. I really like this doctor, too, by the way, so I'm quite happy with our choice of pedi offices. The doctor said he looked great, and he was happy with Ethan's growth, which of course is a huge relief. He was up to 9 lbs. as of the appointment and measured around 22" (the nurse couldn't get a good measurement because he was grumpy about being woken up and refused to have his legs stretched out). So he got a good report on growth, developmental milestones, and the physical exam. Then it was time for the shots.

Now, everyone talks about how horrible seeing their baby get shots is. Many mothers cry. I am not one of those mothers. I know that the shots are a momentary discomfort that are entirely worth it, no matter what those anti-vaccination nuts say. So when the nurse stuck him and Ethan's bottom lip puckered out and he did his wide-eyed cry/scream? Not only did I not cry, I had to fight back a smile because he looked so freaking adorable. I hate that he was in pain, of course, but my being upset about it would only get him more upset, so instead I spoke comforting words and promised to nurse him as soon as the shots were over. The nursing seemed to calm him some, and he happily accepted his pacifier as we left, but he began crying again when it fell out of his mouth and ended up crying himself to sleep on the short drive home. So, all in all, the actual getting of the shots wasn't bad at all.

However, seeing how pitiful and miserable he was with the ensuing slight fever was horrible! I just wanted to cuddle him all day and night. He cried unless he was eating or sleeping, and he would startle constantly during clothing and diaper changes because he felt so cold with his elevated temperature. He slept a lot, though, including a 7.5 hour stretch on Tuesday night, and by Wednesday morning, he was back to normal. Thankfully, we have 2 months before we have to do that again.

Overall, it was a great appointment. Hopefully he won't have to go back to the doctor again until his four-month-old well child check, which will most likely be the day after I start back at school (yikes!). I'm so thankful that he's finally thriving and can't wait until weight worries are a thing of the past!

No comments:

Post a Comment