Friday, April 1, 2011

Food and Teeth and Crawling, Oh My!

It's been an eventful couple of weeks in the Marks household. As previously mentioned, last week Ethan got his first tooth. He didn't seem to mind it as much when it first broke through, but the following few days were rough. He was fussy during the day and didn't sleep well at night. On Saturday night, he refused to be put down so I eventually put his crib mattress on the floor and curled up beside him, spending the majority of the night on the nursery floor. Thankfully, the next day he was in better spirits and proceeded to sleep all night long for three days in a row. Last night, that streak was broken by two wakings, and this morning I discovered why: My little boy has another tooth. If past is prologue, now that it's broken through, things might get rough again, but now I know the mattress-floor trick, at least =)

Speaking of his mouth, we've been working on solids for over two weeks now. I've made all of the following thus far:

- Mashed banana - Initially loved it, but yesterday he wasn't as interested as usual
- Organic sweet potato puree - Initially hated it but has taken it a few times since then. I haven't tried it lately.
- Organic brown rice cereal - Initially hated it but will eat it readily when mixed with banana and once by itself
- Mashed avocado - Hated it. And after sampling it myself, I can't blame him.
- Organic pear puree - Initially wasn't too impressed and still won't open his mouth as wide for it, but I catch glimmers of smiles occasionally, and he cleared his plate today
- Organic apple puree - Haven't tried yet
- Sweet pea puree - Haven't tried yet

On Sunday, we'll start with the apple, so hopefully that will go over well since he's already used to the texture with the pear. And here in another week or two, we'll add a second meal! I'm loving making all of his food myself. I just wish he enjoyed eating it as much!

Ethan is definitely on the move with his army crawl. As I type this, he's crawling around on the floor and trying to pull up on his Jumperoo. While I'm excited for his development, it makes the need to babyproof the house even more evident. He gets frustrated with staying in one place for too long, and he can't be left alone for a second unless he's in his pack-n-play or Jumperoo. Maybe over the next couple of weeks we can get that taken care of... As I said, it's been an eventful past two weeks so I'm afraid to see what the next two have in store for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment