Sunday, April 10, 2011

Why I Wear My Baby


People often wonder why I continue to wear Ethan. They assume he's too big, and it'll either hurt my back or be too hot or get him used to bad habits. Wouldn't a stroller be easier? Is he really secure in there? Isn't that a lot of trouble to go to? I love babywearing, and I plan on continuing for years to come (though I probably will stop wearing him for naps eventually). Here are some of the reasons why:


1) Convenience
When Ethan was a newborn, I could plop him into the Moby and go about my day while he napped. I could go outside (as in the picture above), I could cook and clean (most of Thanksgiving dinner was prepared with him in the Moby), I could do homework, or I could just relax on the couch (as in the picture below).


Now that he's bigger, he tends to stir more easily if I do too much, but I can still get my homework done and relax while he naps. Another benefit to him napping while being worn is I don't have to waste time trying to get him to sleep. Instead of rocking or nursing him in the nursery, away from everything else, I can sit on the couch and read or watch TV while he puts himself to sleep. Once he's able to get to sleep in his crib independently, this practice may change, but for now, I enjoy the extra time this allows me.


2) Soothing powers
From the early days on, when Ethan's fussy, I can put him in a wrap, and he calms down. Even when he's not quite ready to nap, he's content to sit quietly snuggled against his mommy (as in the picture above). When he does nap in the wrap, he sleeps longer and better while being worn than when I put him down in the crib. At the end of the day, if he's in a fussy mood and doesn't want to be put down, I can strap him on my back and still fix dinner. He gets the closeness he desires without my sacrificing what needs to be done.


3) Bonding Time
Skin-to-skin contact is crucial for babies. When Ethan naps on my chest, he hears my heartbeat, just like in the womb. I get to smell his hair and kiss his forehead, feeling his warmth against me. Plus, it's great for breastfeeding because it increases supply. I don't know that I'd still be able to nurse if it weren't for wearing him as much as I do. I absolutely love wearing him!



4) Travel
Babywearing is the most convenient way to carry a baby when you're traveling or just running errands. It was invaluable when we went to Atlanta for Christmas because it was an instant soother when he was getting fussy and provided some sense of stability when everything else was different. Plus, I don't need to worry about fitting a stroller in a packed car or taking one on a plane. Wraps fold up to fit in a diaper bag. Even when I'm sticking closer to home, it's so much easier to strap Ethan on in a carrier than to navigate a stroller through crowds or try to shop while holding him in my arms. In the first 4 months he was alive, I only used a stroller once, and that was for my 6-week postpartum since I didn't know if I would be able to hold him during the exam. Since then, I only use the stroller when someone else is going to be watching him at school so that they have another option to soothe him and since I need something to put all of his toys in when traveling from the car to the classroom. Babywearing allows Ethan just as much visibility as a stroller would, and he loves viewing the neighborhood from my back while on a walk.

5) It just looks cool!
I can't count the number of times people have commented on it, which still baffles me since I thought babywearing was becoming more prevalent. I don't get as many comments about the Ergo since people are used to soft-structured carriers due to those crappy Bjorn and Snugglis, but the wrap still perplexes people, especially when I have him on my back. The other day, I was in the student lounge putting Ethan onto my back to go to the car, and when I looked up while I was tightening, I noticed the curious stares. Finally, one of my friends said, "That is awesome!" And it is.


I strongly recommend babywearing to anyone and everyone, even if your child is no longer a newborn. He or she will still get the benefits of skin-to-skin contact, and you get all the perks and convenience! Just look at these smiling faces:

No comments:

Post a Comment