Saturday, June 11, 2011

A boy and his trucks

I definitely had one of those moments (OK, hours) today where I wondered who took my baby and replaced him with this fussing machine. As if two days in a row of play dates weren't enough, Ethan and I headed out this morning for the local babywearing group monthly meeting. We hadn't been since March since it meets 45 minutes away, and Ethan is not too keen on long trips in the car. However, I was trying to decide what length I'll need for the shorter wrap I want to get, and the only way to know would be to wrap with both sizes, and since I don't know anyone around here that wraps, off we went.

We left right after his first nap, planning on nursing as soon as we got there. He's gone 45 minutes after waking before when we're going to LLL or class, and he usually does just fine, but this time it pissed him off. So he whined off and on the entire way there, but after happily nursing, he was ready to play. He crawled around, looking at the other babies and playing with the toys. He seems to be especially drawn to construction vehicles, and the church nursery where they meet had a lot of them. He was having so much fun, in fact, that the last thing he wanted to do was be picked up by his mommy. As a result, when I picked him up to wrap him on my back (the entire reason we came), he SCREAMED in my ear. He wiggled and wouldn't cooperate and kept shrieking the entire time I was wrapping, which resulted in my inability to get a good carry. However, as soon as I put him back down, he happily went back to playing, without a care in the world! I let him play while I fetched the other size from the mom who brought them for me, and as soon as I picked Ethan up, the screaming began again. This time, he wiggled so much that he almost wiggled out of the wrap before I could secure it! Finally, I gave up and just let him play. I had also wanted to try out some ring slings, but I didn't dare disrupt his play time again, so that will have to wait for another time. ::sigh::

On the bright side, though, I was really worried about him screaming the entire ride home, but as long as I kept him supplied with toys, he happily chewed and babbled the whole way back. After a much needed nap, we headed back out to run some errands, and Ethan was back to his usual happy self.

In the end, I think I got the information I needed. It's hard to tell since I was never able to tighten enough. I guess the worst case scenario will be that I end up buying two wraps if the first size ends up too big. What a travesty! =) Lesson learned, I guess: Don't get between a boy and his trucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment