Thursday, June 23, 2011

New this week...

Ethan has had a few firsts this week that don't warrant their own post independently but are still worth noting. First of all, since I forgot his sippy cup when we went out to eat last Friday, Ethan successfully drank through a straw for the first time! I was feeding him yogurt so he needed water, but he didn't grasp the concept of the straw. Per his daddy's suggestion, I filled the straw with water and had him suck it out apart from the glass. That was apparently all it took because when I offered him the straw in the glass again, he sucked it up so quickly he got choked up!

Last weekend also saw my first attempt to get Ethan to nap in the crib since he was 3 months old. On Saturday, he was fighting going down for a nap and, honestly, I was just sick of bouncing with him so I went through our usual bedtime ritual before putting him in the crib. Even though at night he puts himself down with no fussing whatsoever, he apparently hasn't translated that to naps because it took 30 minutes of fussing before he went to sleep. However, he slept for 2 hours, which is the longest he's ever napped in the crib! On Sunday, I tried again, this time for his morning nap, and it still took 30 minutes of fussing on and off. When I tried on Monday, however, he screamed for an hour before I finally gave in and wrapped him, at which point he fell asleep immediately. I gave him a break on Tuesday and Wednesday, but he took his afternoon nap in the crib today. He still fussed for about 30 minutes, but I'm hopeful it will get better with time. I just need him to be napping in his crib by the time classes start back since I'll be leaving during nap time.

Finally, Ethan is getting better at standing unassisted and at initiating standing unassisted (i.e. at letting go while standing up). He stood without holding onto anything for about 10 seconds this afternoon, which was the longest he's done yet. So he still has a ways to go, but he's learning!

It seems like almost every day brings a new discovery or a new way for him to get into mischief!

No comments:

Post a Comment