Thursday, December 15, 2011

Christmas Deals 2011

It's been a while since I posted about couponing, so I figured I'd do a bragging post about the deals I found for Ethan's Christmas gifts. Last year, I was very proud to have gotten him just over $100 of gifts for less than $10. This year, I paid more out of pocket, but I got him about $120 worth of gifts for just over $25. So let's break the deals down in general terms:

- Toy from Barnes & Noble: Retailed for $34 but used 40% off coupon on top of 10% membership discount
- Book from Barnes & Noble: Retailed for $9 but used 50% off coupon on top of 10% membership discount
- Book from Cokesbury: Retailed for $8 and used $10 coupon to buy it plus two reusable shopping bags, totally free!
- Six toys from SmartMomma, a local baby goods store: Retailed for about $70 but all toys were 20% off during Black Friday weekend. Plus we went on Small Business Saturday and registered two separate AmEx cards, doing two separate transactions, for a total of $50 in credit on our next statements. Total cost? $5.60.

In addition, I used a LivingSocial voucher for Whole Foods to get treats for his stocking totally free (since the groceries I was buying anyway used up the paid value of the voucher).

So we were able to fill the space under the tree and his stocking for less than the retail cost of the first toy we bought him. I'm pretty pleased with myself, especially since I didn't expect to do as well as last year since I had less time to research deals due to school.

Edited to add: As an added bonus, I made $30 in November by filling out a TV diary sent to me by a survey company, so that alone took care of all our Christmas shopping for Ethan costs! Not too shabby!

Did anyone else find any good holiday deals they want to brag about?

No comments:

Post a Comment