Saturday, February 11, 2012

Sitter Drama

Just a brief update to let everyone know about the recent drama and its subsequent resolution. A week prior to last Wednesday, Ethan's babysitter called about 2 hours before I had to leave for class to let me know she wouldn't be coming. She was out grocery shopping and began having blurred vision and dizziness and wasn't even sure she'd be able to make it home by herself. Thankfully, Ethan was able to spend the afternoon with Daddy so I could still get to class, but I was left with an uneasy feeling. What if she got dizzy again while watching Ethan? Her husband is a 20 minute drive away, so he wouldn't be much help. What if it happened while she was going up the stairs with him? I would never be able to forgive myself. So it was with a bit of relief that I received a call from her on Monday saying she probably wouldn't be able to watch Ethan for at least a couple of weeks until they figured out the cause behind her continued dizziness.

That relief was coupled with anxiety, however, because, while my class for that afternoon was cancelled, I was suddenly left with no one to watch Ethan on Wednesday and beyond. Since continuing to take time off work wasn't an option and I really didn't want to have to miss classes, we needed to find another sitter and fast! I contacted our neighbor who is currently between jobs and whom I trust completely with Ethan, but she's busy with freelancing and has her son's baseball games. Despite all this, she graciously offered to watch him on Wednesday since we wouldn't be able to find someone else in time.

In the meantime, the search was on. I contacted both pastors for suggestions. I contacted the people my neighbor suggested. I put out cries for help on social media. Nothing. Finally, I contacted the interim director of the preschool our church is starting next year, asking if she knew of anyone who had applied to be a preschool teacher who was currently looking for work. Instead, she offered to watch him! She's had years of experience working in and running daycares and preschools. She adores kids and kids seem to adore her. And the kicker? She only lives 2-3 minutes away. It's like it was meant to be!

So what was a pretty stressful situation for several days turned out better than I could have imagined. And now I can continue the precarious balance of full-time mom, full-time grad student...

No comments:

Post a Comment