Tuesday, January 10, 2012

And so another break comes to a close...

Here I sit on the eve of the beginning of another semester. I've been back in grad school for a full year now. In some ways it's gotten easier. I've figured out some sort of a balance. I no longer have to drive two hours a day with a screaming infant in the backseat. I've gotten used to leaving him in someone else's care. But in other ways, it's just as hard, if not harder. I can no longer get much work done during his naps. Plus, in past terms, I've taken only two classes at a time, and the first term back I only had to go to one of them (the other being a directed study). This term, I'm taking three classes, all of which I will be attending. It could be an interesting semester...

This past break has seemed both quite long and very short. On the one hand, it seems like forever ago that I was last in class. On the other hand, I feel like I got none of the things done I'd planned on. I did no reading, for pleasure or for parenting. I got very few of my projects done. I basically just did the usual routines of cleaning, cooking, and everything necessary to keep a toddler alive and happy. I'm slightly annoyed with myself for not getting more done, but I certainly cherish all the time I got to spend just playing with Ethan.

So what all have we done this break? Some of those stories will have to wait for future posts, but I'll leave you with the following moment from earlier this afternoon. Ethan was playing with his new car, so I took the opportunity to run to the bathroom without him bugging me. I heard a door open, and when I turned the corner, he was pulling out his cardboard blocks from my coat closet and building a tower. He saw me, grinned, faked knocking it over, and then ran to get his car to crash into it. Then he set about building again. So here's a glimpse into a typical moment with my little boy:

No comments:

Post a Comment