Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Yeah, I Made That!

I figured I would do a brief picture post to give you a glimpse of the craftiness of the past week. I spent a lot of time this past weekend sewing so now I'm having to play catch-up on my reading for school, ergo my delinquency in blogging. So here's proof that I've been doing SOMETHING lately:

We'll start with the "E" we made for Ethan's nursery the weekend before last. Since an 18" wooden "E" would be both hard to come by and expensive, he fashioned one out of a scrap piece of plywood he doubled over to make thick enough. Then he painted it with leftover trim paint from the nursery. Then I got to try out my new Cricut and decoupage (read: glue on) cut-outs that portray Ethan's interests, from trucks to drums to goats! I'm quite pleased with how it turned out, and I now feel that the decorating of the nursery is finally complete!


The next project was a new pair of longies for Ethan since he outgrew the first pair I made (you know, the ones I was supposed to write a tutorial about a couple of months ago...). This one is also upcycled from a felted thrift store wool sweater, but I decided to go with an elastic waistband (salvaged from the sweater's neckline) this time instead of a drawstring. They're a bit big on him, but overall I'm satisfied with how they turned out, and he didn't have a leak, despite wearing it all morning!


And finally, the project that took up most of last weekend, we finally completed the Roman blinds for the master bedroom. Since those plastic blinds are obnoxious and kept breaking, almost two years ago, we decided to make our own Roman blinds since they are really expensive to buy. I made one, but my sewing machine kept breaking, and I never got any others finished. Well, with my nifty new sewing machine, I got to work on Saturday and finished all the sewing for four of them that day. On Sunday, we fitted them with all the necessary hardware, moved the one I made almost two years ago to the guest room, and hung the new ones up in the master! I'm pretty pleased with how they turned out, but mostly, I'm just glad to finally have them done!


I also did a few smaller sewing projects that had been on my to-do list for a while, mostly mending my husband's clothes, and I felt quite industrious by the end of it all! So there, I'm making progress on my resolution to be more crafty already! Now if I could just keep up with blogging...

No comments:

Post a Comment