Wednesday, January 18, 2012

So far so good

We're now a week into the new semester and, thanks to the MLK holiday, my two non-directed-study classes have each met once (my third class will only meet every other week and doesn't start until next Wednesday). So far I'm pretty excited about them! My Monday class is a Black Church Studies course and, while it's probably not a course I would have chosen if we didn't have to take a BCS limited elective, I absolutely love the professor and am pretty excited about the discussions we'll have. My Wednesday class is a New Testament course on Judaic-Christian relations, ancient and modern, with the professor with whom I took my New Testament exegesis course. He's the sort you either love or hate because he's not a typical divinity professor and has a reputation for being a tough grader. Thankfully, I love him and got an A the last time I took him, so I'm quite excited to learn from him again, especially since the topic is near and dear to me. The third class is a directed study in Christian education, focusing on children's ministry. I've, of course, had this professor many times since he's the main Christian ed person, and he is actually the professor who let me bring Ethan with me to class my first semester back, so he's very understanding of my situation.

The main accommodation I require from professors is leniency in returning from break. Each of my regular classes is a 2.5 hour seminar, so we get a 10 minute break about halfway through. 10 minutes is not enough time to get to the Women's Center and pump so I'm usually late getting back to class. My professor last semester was great and even extended the break for everyone to 15 minutes. My BCS professor was perfectly understanding and said we need to do whatever it takes to keep the baby happy. I was nervous about approaching today's professor, though, since he is more academic, aloof, and, well, male. He dismissed us early today so it didn't come up naturally, and I had to approach him after class. I explained that I would probably be late coming back from breaks because I need to use the lactation room during that time. He responded, "Oh, do you have a little one at home?" Without thinking first, I responded, "Nope. Just do it for fun." Thankfully he knows me well enough to know my sense of humor, and he laughed after it registered or else I could have gotten myself in some trouble for being such a smartass.

So things are going well! I definitely have a lot of work to do already, which means those long-promised blog posts aren't going to be coming any quicker. But in the grand scheme of things, this is such a short period of my life that I need to enjoy it while I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment