Sunday, January 15, 2012

Seven Year Itch?

Seven years ago tonight, I arrived at the movie theater early. I bought my ticket and stood off to the side, waiting. Five minutes before the movie was supposed to start, I decided I must have been stood up. About two minutes before the movie was supposed to start, a white Bonneville drove into the lot. I grinned as he walked towards me, and we got into the ticket line. Before I could say anything, he purchased two tickets. When I told him I already got mine, he explained it was just habit to purchase two so he didn't even think of it. When I noticed him eying my skirt and nice top, I explained that I had just come from a party so that's why I was so dressed up. He later admitted he had debated all day whether or not to buy my ticket before finally deciding he should. I later admitted I had not come from a party but was just embarrassed to have dressed up. And on that foundation of deception, we began our first date, a 40th-anniversary showing of Dr. Strangelove.

Two weeks later, after going out the interceding Saturdays, I asked him what exactly "we" were, trying to figure out whether or not we were dating. He responded, "We're just two friends who go to the movies. We're friends and nothing more." A week after that, we decided we were in an exclusive relationship. Two years later, we were engaged. And a year and five months after that, we were married.

The next year brought home ownership and the following one our firstborn. And while we've had our ups and downs like any couple, no one has ever made me happier than he has these past seven years. So seven-year-itch? Granted, we've only been married for 3.5, but if the next 3.5 years are anything like our first, I don't foresee any problem. He is a wonderful father and a loving husband. He drives me nuts and knows just how to annoy the heck out of me (and practices often). He makes me laugh, he makes me scream in frustration, and most of all, he's made me the person I am today. Seven years later, he makes me want to be the best wife and mother possible... even if just to prove him wrong.

1 comment:

  1. We have been married 5.5 years and together 7.5 years. Seven year itch? The only desire we have is to procreate AGAIN! LOL
    Congrats on a long and loving relationship.

    ReplyDelete